5. Legitimate Interest, our legal basis for collecting and storing your information
Data protection law sets the lawful legal bases (or ‘conditions’) which allow us to collect, hold and use your personal information. For the AOA, these are:
- For the purposes of our own legitimate interests. We believe that we have a legitimate interest in being able to provide our services to our member organisations and to represent our members and other businesses in the UK. As set out in this Notice, this sometimes
- requires us to collect and use personal information about individuals. We only use this legal basis where these interests are not overridden by your interests and fundamental rights or and freedoms.
- Where we have entered into a contract with you. In these circumstances, we may need to process your personal information in order to fulfil the contract. For example, this may apply if you book to attend one of our events.
- Where we are under a legal obligation to process personal information. For instance, we are required to collect certain information in accordance with our obligations under equalities legislation.